Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

I'm Being Bad Again



I know, I know - almost a whole week without posting. I'm not reverting to my old, never posting habits but I think I need a new vow - blog even while traveling!

I had the pleasure of being in sunny Florida Monday through Thursday, speaking at three 'Celebration of Choice' events for the fantastic Southwest and Central Florida affiliate of Planned Parenthood.

Headquartered in a new, incredibly environmentally friendly building in Sarasota (pictured above!), this PP affiliate manages to operate without any federal or state funds. All the staff I met were amazing and I had a great time at the 'Love Carefully' event for young professionals, where I slurped down 'Bad But Safe' Blueberry martinis and danced with the condom fairy.

Florida advocates are pushing legislation known as the Healthy Teens Act, which would require schools already receiving state funding to teach sex ed to teach medically accurate, age-appropriate information. If this seems obvious, that's because it is - but the government hasn't really figured that out yet. If you live in Florida, contact all your reps about this legislation and put in a call to the governor to convince him to join 25 other governors in rejecting abstinence-only money.

I did a really fun radio show in prep for the trip; the Women's Show on WMNF. Click here for the archive list; I was on the show on 2/7/2009. I'm in the middle of the show, followed by Lilly Tomlin - take a listen; the hosts, the music, and the content are fun, feminist, and smart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home