First of all, let's just point out that this crazy, farfetched, and really fun scheme is not a Shelby Knox original - all the credit goes to Nora Dye for being cool (and psychotic) enough to get on her bike, Rhonda, last summer and ride across the country visiting reproductive health activists in their communities. She loved it, wanted to get other people involved, so she decided to design a tour for this summer so other activists could have the same experience - riding 80 miles a day in the summer heat, sleeping wherever will have us, and...did I mention this is all happening on a bike?!
No, I know I am being slightly dramatic. But there are a couple of differences between Nora and myself that might matter for this trip. First of all, she's been on a bike in at least the last four years - in fact, she rides almost everywhere she goes. She likes being on a bike. And, she almost certainly knows how to use Rhonda's brakes...
And then there's me: I have not really been on a bike since I was 17. I don't know if I even like riding a bike. And I'm really not joking about not knowing how to brake. So why the hell do I want to go so badly? And, how am I going to survive going?
Glad you (and my mother, father, grandparents, friends and colleauges) asked. I want to go because it sounds amazing - connecting with grassroots activists all over the country, seeing America's beauty without glass separating me from the world, riding in a team situation with 15 other awesome progressive activists. I want to write about my experiences, take pictures, and be part of something. And, as always, I want to prove to myself that I can. Well, and to my friends and family, too - there's no better motivation than having everyone I've told laugh me out of the room!
And how am I going to do it? I'm going to train - I am going to get the bike this weekend (thanks, Rose!), and ride my butt around Central Park every day until I have built up endurance - and eat better, get used to not showering every day, and find things I never knew about, like
padded bike shorts and
solar ipod and phone chargers. I am only riding half the trip (NC to NYC), so I need to know I can ride at least 80 miles a day for two weeks. I'll let you know how it's going - the tour starts on June 14th!